Page 38 - Business Directory

Basic HTML Version

36
The Town of LeRoy Celebrates
Its Bicentennial in 2012
The first white pioneers arrived in 1797, and settled on the eastern outskirts of what is now the
Village of LeRoy. By 1802, a bridge spanned the Oatka Creek, and the State Road between Albany
and Buffalo passed through the settlement. The Town was officially created by the New York State
Legislature on June 8, 1812, and was known as Bellona, after the Roman goddess of war. Within
a year, Bellona became LeRoy and at the first town meeting held in the schoolhouse on Trigon
Park, Dr. William Sheldon was elected the first Supervisor. The Town was named after a wealthy
New York City merchant and land speculator, Herman LeRoy. In 1822, Herman LeRoy’s son, Jacob,
arrived to serve as the land agent for the 86,000 acre Triangle Tract. His family lived in what is now
known as Historic LeRoy House, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is
owned by the LeRoy Historical Society. In 1834, the Village of LeRoy was chartered and at the first meeting held at the Eagle Hotel, Joshua Lathrop was elected to
serve as the first mayor.
LeRoy’s natural resources have contributed to the viability of the community. The Town is bisected by the Oatka Creek which flows northeast to the Genesee River.
The creek plunges over a 60 foot limestone escarpment known as Buttermilk Falls. LeRoy’s extensive limestone deposits were quarried for architectural stone in the
19th century and today tons of aggregate is used for construction and highways. LeRoy’s quarries supplied crushed stone for the Mt. Morris Dam. At one time salt
was an important industry in LeRoy, until the deposits played out.
Agriculture has always been a significant contributor to the economy of the area. Over sixty percent of the Town is a designated agricultural district and is devoted
to several large dairy farms, orchards, horse farms, Christmas tree plantations, fruit and vegetable production. In 1884, the development of the stringless-bean by
Calvin Keeney was a significant contribution to the seend industry.
Through the years, varied industries have included patent medicines, a malt plant, fruit storage, flour mills, explosives, agricultural implements, a paper mill, a
canning company, automotive parts, and Jell-O which was invented in LeRoy in 1897. Jell-O moved to Dover Delaware in 1964. One of the oldest industries is Lapp
Insulator Company which manufactures porcelain insulators for high tension electrical transmission. Today custom packaging is manufactured at Orcon Indus-
tries. Other companies include LeRoy Plastics, Moffit Design, and specialized furniture designed by Wendell Castle. Copart is an automotive reclamation facility.
Historically LeRoy has been committed to education. In 1837, Marietta and Emily Ingham from Saybrook, Connecticut, established the LeRoy Female Seminary,
which in 1857 became Ingham University, the first university for woman to grant a four-degree.
Business Council Supported Activities
• First Night fire works and festival
• Easter Egg Hunt
with Easter Bunny
• Oatka Fest
Announcements
• LBC Golf Tournament
• Fishing Derby at Oatka Fest
• Halloween Parade with a Clown
• Election Forum
• Winter Fest Decorations and Santa Claus
• Genesee County Travel Guide – Le Roy Pages
• Thruway Sign – one of the sponsors
If you would like to help with one or more of
the activities let us know.
If you have a suggestion on other
activities come to a meeting and tell us about your idea.
Supporter of Opening the Pool